Monday, July 13, 2009

Creative Commons and Magnatunes

I have really been considering how I am going to deal with the issues of copyright and plagiarism in my classes from day one. There must be a multitude of ways out there to get the information to them and make them understand. Most of the issues I face in plagiarism come when the students write my assignment in English and either use an online translator or a Spanish-speaking friend. (Both are clearly identifiable -- thank goodness.) But it does not make it any easier to hand out consequences. I would like to make it part of my class rules for the beginning of the year and then revisit the idea several times later on until they REALLY understand that I mean business.

On a more positive note, the idea of a free site to download music is genius. They really understand the needs of teachers and other (not-for-profit) enterprises. They also have a great idea of marketing. The most important thing is getting the product out into the public.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Karen,

    I totally agree, I don't know the answer either but it is an issue and it is so important for our students to understand. I would love to share ideas throughout the year about what you do with your students. I also agree with you comment about teachers needing free music, but when I went to the site it wasn't free, they said if you said that you were and educator that they would make it free but I couldn't really figure out where that happened.
    Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete