Wednesday, July 8, 2009

The Next 5000 Days?

Watching the Kevin Kelly video about the next 5000 days of the internet filled me with several conflicting feelings. On one hand, I was excited about all the possibilities the web (THE ONE) has to offer. I was completely caught up in his vision and totally converted to his version of the future. I marveled at the distance we have traveled technologically in my lifetime. As a college student in the early 80's computers were a novelty -- not a requirement. Each computer's capability in those days was so limited. I look at what a computer connected to the web can do today and I still don't understand the full depth and breadth of what it can do. I am, however, extremely grateful for the flexibility it offers and the freedom to explore.

Upon further contemplation, I began thinking about what being continually connected to the web can do. What happens to our privacy? Google already knows more about me than I know myself. What if I just cease being a person and become nothing but information? Instead of The Machine being an extension of me, what happens when I become an extension of it? What does codependency on The Machine (The One) mean to teachers? Will our students ever be able to be disconnected from The Machine and use their brains? Or will Google supply everything they need and there is no need to try to memorize facts, data or anything else?

The future is never a comfortable place to spend too much time. It's a great place to visit. It can be scary to spend too much time there. I might miss out on the journey to the future . . . and isn't life IN the journey itself?

No comments:

Post a Comment