Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Technology in my classroom

The whole issue in education is making connections. Making connections with content and making connections with understanding. My huge problem right now is in making connections. As I sit in technology class, I experience the new websites, play with the content and think about how the activities would be very fun in my classroom. What would be even better is if the way to make each project magically fit into my curriculum and my classroom would suddenly appear. There is a huge ravine in my brain between the technology and making it work in my classroom.

I can see the possibilities for webquests in my classroom, but making one and using one is another thing entirely. I can see the possibilities for using wikis and webpages, for making and filtering photos, for creating and using blogs. Great ideas. But how to make room for them in my classroom and my time is the essential question here. Some of these are great at the beginning of the year when there is time, but what happens to the upkeep when things get out of control toward the end of the quarter, or worse, at the end of the year?

So, is it better to try new things and not follow through? Or is it better to just stick with the status quo?

1 comment:

  1. You know my answer? I say try something new. Don't try it all b/c you will get overwhelmed, but try one thing, maybe a class website, or a class wiki, and see how it goes. One step at a time :-)

    ReplyDelete